Thursday, April 2, 2009

THE SEMESTER IS WINDING DOWN

Well this is already the first of April. Where has the time gone? It seems only days ago that it was the begining of a new year and here we are already going into the forth month.

This time of the year always causes me to get excited but also feel a little sad. The school year is winding down and we are just four weeks until graduation. You can feel the excitement, tension and stress build with the students. Some are graduating and are worried that some of their grades may go a muck here at the end of the school year. Some are working extra hard to make up for the time they have partied away the rest of the year. And their are a few that will be leaving the semester with a little more baggage than they started with. These are worried about going home and having to tell mom and dad that they are expecting that little bundle of joy that just happened to come at a not so good time in their life. Some times the independence you thought you were looking for turns out to be not as great as you antisapated.

We do tend to get wrapped up in the lives of all these young people and it is hard to see some of them have to struggle with the problems they created for themselves. I'm sure they will grow and become stronger from these situations, but you just wish you could make them think a little before they go running head long into more than they are ready for.

I started to work with Sodexo at the college in 1990 so I have seen a lot of students come and go. Some of the kids went from being students to employees and even professors at the school. Each one of the ladies including myself, still have students that come back when they are in town to check and see which of us is still there and to say hello. I guess we do make an impression on some of them. I hope so and I hope it is a good one.

Well I kind of started to wander off the path there, but back to the ending of the year. This last month will be our busiest. Everyone is wanting a party for something. Graduation will be the 10th of May and we will work the last week preparing for that. Then I will be out for the summer and since I am having to watch my hours for the rest of the year I want have to go back until late August. YEEPEE!!

We will be heading to Memphis this weekend to help Mark move into a different apartment. Bless his heart, he is usually the one that has to help everyone else move. So we will try to help him out a bit this time. And of course he is on the third floor. Hope this is his last move for a while.

No comments: