Monday, April 6, 2009

ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

I don't usually like to brag about things or people I know, but today I am going to have to brag just a bit. This past Saturday night my cousin Lyndon "Spooner" Oldham was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was exciting to see him get up and make his thank you speech. It was also very emotional for me when he mentioned my dad and my brother Bruce. I couldn't help but think how happy they would be for him. And I can almost see them both grinning from ear to ear when Lyndon walked on stage.

All the Oldham brothers were very talented and would regularly get together at one or the others homes and play music into the wee hours. Daddy, Dot and Gail had a way of harmonizing when they sang. I guess that was because they were brothers and their voices just seemed to blend together. They could between them play about any instrument that they picked up. Daddy had a steel guitar and a box guitar and one of them had a mandolin and a banjo. Arnold Lanier would come with his fiddle, Daddy always said that Arnold was one of the best fiddle players around. There was always a little french harp and even spoon playing. It was fun for us kids to sit around and usually fall asleep listing to the sounds of music being played by our Dads.

Later on when Bruce and Lyndon got to be teenagers, they decided to get a band together. So with the two of them and Ronald English and Roger Hawkins, they started a group. They would play at school talent shows and the national guard armory in Sheffild on Saturday nights. And one time I scored a big coup by getting them to play at a Rainbow Girl dance at the Royal Ave. Recreational Center. Judy, Lyndon's sister would get up and sing a couple of songs. She sounded just like Brenda Lee. I was always impressed with all of them, because they all had a talent, but I must have come from a different gene pool.

The band would always draw a big crowd at the Amory. My friend Judy ( not the cousin that could sing)and I would always go with the Bruce and spend the evening dancing like fools. I have to laugh when I think about those dances. Judy and I were both to shy to dance with anyone, so we danced with each other including the slow dances. I think this has been the reason I can't follow, I have to lead. But Judy and I could really cut a rug together. Those were much simpler times.

Some where along the line Lyndon started to seriously pursue a music career and moved on to bigger and better things. The memories of growing up listening to the music of our family is still crystal clear in my mind. I am so happy that all the talent and hard work finally paid off with the induction of Lyndon into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.


http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/spooner-oldham

No comments: