Friday, June 19, 2009

THE PINK FLAMINGO











When we went to the Memphis Zoo back last year, I loved looking at all the exotic animals. The ones that I thought the prettiest and most graceful looking were the beautiful Pink Flamingo. They walked with such grace, with their heads bobbing in and out moving kind of like a ballerina. Long necks and legs with a slightly snooty look. Their pink color just seemed to glow in the sunlight.
I thought to myself these are some of the most elegant creatures I have ever seen. Flamingos are just perfect.

Well we drove up to Tennessee last week for one of our outings with the grand kids. We drove past a house and I just had to make John stop so I could get a picture. Out in front of the house must have been twenty five or thirty plastic Pink Flamingos, some standing, some lying on their sides and a couple that looked like someone had run over them with a lawn mower. Somehow when you try to duplicate the beauty of one of God's perfect creatures into a hot pink plastic body and wire legs it looses something in the translation. All Pink Flamingos are not created equally.

I have to say that I have my own little piece of Pink Flamingo art. I went to a haughty-taughty little Christmas party last year. Everyone brought a ten dollar gift so we could play dirty Santa. Well since I was a guest, they let me go first in picking a gift. When I opened it what could I say but "Oh my isn't this beautiful". Wrong words. I guess everyone thought I would not part with this wonderful gift so no one tried to take it from me.
I kept it in the top of the closet for a few months and almost gave it the the local thrift store, but finally decided "Well by dern, I'm going to hang this thing". So this Pink Flamingo flies proudly from a planter hook on my back porch. Other wind chimes I have had in the past have been whipped to smithereens by windstorms, but not this one. Some Pink Flamingos are tacky, but built to last.

1 comment:

PartyWeDo said...

Nice wind chime! Some of the best memories come as we participate in some sort of gift exchange party.
Our family has enjoyed one online for the past 3-years. Our 5 kids live all around the country, so supporting them at holidays or other important times must be done from a distance.
You might find what we do interesting:
www.party2point0.wordpress.com/albinophant