Thursday, June 11, 2009

NATCHEZ TRACE PICNIC






















Yesterday we had great plans to drive down the NatcheZ Trace Parkway, stop at a few of the roadside stops and walk some of the trails then end with a picnic at Colbert Landing.


John Pearson had football practice until 10:00. I spent the morning putting together a picnic cooler for the big event. When JP got home we left and headed for the Trace. Just as we got into the car it started to literally pour down rain. But not wanting to be outdone by Mother Nature we continued on. Well as we entered the Trace the rain stopped and the skies started to clear slightly. We decided that maybe we should let the kids swim first. We got to Colbert Landing and headed down to the river. It is really a beautiful park, but for some reason it has been taken over by wild ducks. It was hard to find a spot to put down a blanket without being directly over or right next to a massive pile of duck poop.
Not to be discouraged though, I managed to find a pretty clear spot. John, JP and Emily went into the water for a swim. I decided that I would just lie on the blanket and enjoy the sun. After about 45 minutes I got up and waded in the water to cool down a bit. At that time I felt a little woozy so I told John maybe we should walk back to the picnic grounds and eat. By the time we got to the car I felt really crappy. But I thought I will be OK when we eat. We got the food out and the sat down to eat and I started getting those spots that you get just before you pass out. So while they ate I laid on the picnic table next to them and tried to keep from fainting. After they ate, I told John he would have to drive the car down to the table because I was too sick to walk back.
After I got in the car and John got the air on I started to feel much better. I think my sugar dropped so I ate a Oreo. This is the first cookie or sweet I have eaten in months. Usually my sugar just goes up I have never experienced it dropping. It was kind of scary.
As you can tell by the pictures this was not the most exciting outing the kids have ever been on. Maybe we will have better luck another day. We decided to stick close to home today. Maybe I will be back in commission by tomorrow.

No comments: