Monday, March 9, 2009

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT DESIGN
























































I figured you had heard enough silliness for a couple of days and looked for something a little more cultured to post:) I was going through some pictures that we had taken in the last year or so and came across these pictures of the Rosenbaum home in Florence Al.

This house was designed by the famous Frank Lloyd Wright. It is one of the few built in Al. It was amazing to go through the house. It was designed for a place for everything and everything in its place. Apparently they raised four boys in this house. Their bedroom looks almost like a dormitory and I think that is what they called it, with four beds built in a bunk bed design on the back wall. One side of the room is all windows. ( I have a hard time imagining any of mine sharing this space without someone horsing around and going through the window). There were desk built in ,the closets were very tiny and the drawers were all built in the wall. You can see the drawers in the picture above. They had to be well organized people.

The dining room is very basic with a wood table built almost like a table/ bar that fits 6 chairs. The original kitchen was the most compact kitchen you have ever seen. It was almost like a closet that you could close off when entertaining. Stove on one wall, sink on one wall and the refrigerator on the third wall. All the halls are very narrow less than 30" in width.

I loved the sewing room. Some of Mrs Rosenbaum's handiwork is on display. It is just a very unusual home design. I think the furniture had to be carried in through the doors that opened from each room to the outside. There is no way anything could be carried down the narrow halls.

If I could find my brochure I could give more details. If you every get a chance to visit Florence, it may be one of the places to put on your list of things to see.

Hope someone enjoys these pictures. ( Todd I posted these with you in mind).










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice, pictures...I joined facebook again, and friended with Sondra & Sarah