Tuesday, February 24, 2009

LIFE LESSONS





I just got in from work a little bit ago, John picked up Emily at the school bus stop and I thought I would try to think of something to write about. It has been very slow moving this month. For a month to be the shortest of the year, it sometimes takes the longest to past. I think maybe it is because it is winter and cold and I don't get out and do much outside. Every day I think this is the day that I get back out and start walking, but by the time I get off work I put it off one more day. I am the biggest procrastinator in the world. Life lesson: Always put off til tomorrow what you should have done today.

I did finish a couple more pictures this past week. I wonder how many you need to have a starving artist sale, although I would have a hard time passing for a starving anything. The barn picture puts me in mind of the barn that we had on our farm when I was a kid. I was scared to death to go out to the barn because I was afraid of the horse, cow, pig and even the chickens. We didn't move to the farm until I was about seven or eight years old, so I didn't grow up with all those animals and I just never could warm up to any of them. Life lesson: If you aren't around animals when you are little you just don't turn out to be an animal person. Sorry

The beach picture makes me think of all the vacations we have taken to Gulf Shores and Myrtle Beach. There is nothing like walking along the beach and picking up seashells and watching the seagulls. I don't care to go into the water though and if I do it is just to wade where the water breaks. When I was little my brother Bruce and I got caught up in and undertow and was almost swept out, but was rescued by a couple that pulled us to safety. Mother couldn't swim so she was just sitting on a blanket watching us in the shallow water and she thought the couple was just playing with us. She didn't know anything was wrong until they informed her that we could have drown. Life lesson:Don't take your kids to the beach if you can't swim.

Bruce and I were always close growing up and usually into lots of trouble. We usually got a spanking every day whether we needed it or not. Mother would get a switch and tell us if we ran from her, we would get a harder spanking. Bruce would always run and hide and I was afraid to because I didn't want a harder spanking. I really couldn't see that his was any different from mine. Life lesson: Run for you life.

One time when we lived in Bogalussa La.(?) The neighbor call the police because we picked up rocks from their driveway. I must have been 4 and Bruce was 6. And there was the time when we lived in North Carolina and we pulled a icebox over on us. The icebox fell in front of the back door and Mother and Daddy was outside washing the car and heard the crash of two kids, icebox and a fifty lb block of ice falling to the floor. They couldn't get in the back door and had to run around to the front and pull the icebox off us. After the initial relief of realizing that we weren't dead, we both got a spanking. Life lesson: Play dead as long as it takes.

Bruce would have been 66 years old the 25 th of Feb. Life lesson: Remember the good times. To hell with the bad.

No comments: