Tuesday, February 3, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

As of tomorrow I will be having my 64th birthday. It is hard to define how you feel about having another birthday. I am glad I made it to celebrate another, because I had friends that didn't make it this far. On the other hand you start to notice that people look at you differently as you get older. Like when I first started to work I was one of the younger women working there ( age 45 ) and everyone treated me like a kid and thought I didn't know anything. ( which I didn't ). Now everyone calls me Miss Pat and assumes that I should know everything, ( which I don't). It is the comments about why are you still working that get me. Younger people assume that when you hit about 50 you should give up your life as you know it and start the down hill decline. I still work because I need the pay check for one thing, but I feel I actually have more to offer at this point in my life. I don't have children that I have to put first, so I don't miss any work because of that. I don't have to worry about maturnity leave, baby sitters and missing special days at their school. I don't have to worry about what to fix for dinner after working all day. John and I will heat up whatever and make it fine. So it is much easier now than it was when the kids were all home.

Having another birthday make you think back to other birthdayS. I wonder how mother felt 64 years ago today. Was she scared, how big was she, was she excited to have another baby? She tells me that one Feb 4th it was so warm outside that I had a birthday party outside. I remember having my thirteenth birthday party at our house on Bridge Road. I still have pictures of that. I remember turning 16 and learning to drive although I didn't try for my drivers licence until I was 18. The year I turned 21 John and I had been married just a month and Mother, Daddy, Wayne and Robbie surprised me with a birthday cake at our appartment.
The next year John and I had a nice dinner at a fancy resturant and I almost choked on a bread tie that had been french fried with the onion rings. The following year we had Johnny, then Monica, then Sondra, then Mark, then Sarah, so it was quite a number of year after that that I just don't recall vivid memories of my birthdays. I know they were all special, but there comes a time in your life that it is not all about ME, I was more concerned about my family than my birthday.

I know this sounds a little morbid but at this stage of my life I realize that there are more years to look back on than to look forward to. I'm closer to 100 than 1. I will continue to enjoy myself. LIFE IS SHORT, LIVE IT ANYWAY.

No comments: